The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, May 31, 2011

H is for History Websites



I'm currently participating in 
an ABC's for homeschooling challenge.  
Since it falls on Tuesdays, 
I am adding a technological slant to the challenge.  
I hope you stay tuned and enjoy my entries.


World War II, American Colonial Life--these are just two topics that are so far removed from us.  How can we make these topics come to life for us?  We can use textbooks.  We can use workbooks...or we can turn to the internet.

Sometimes, teaching history is difficult.  Sometimes, learning history is boring.  That's why we need to look at alternative ways to teach it.  Enter the internet.  Browsing websites bearing pictures and unusual bits of information can liven up an otherwise dull topic of history.

The following are some websites one can visit:


This is an Ed Tech Teacher.org Resources.  It has lots of tabs for the different eras of history.  I was amazed at the listings of websites and the summaries about the websites.


This is a website that accompanies the History Channel.  I love this because you can gain behind-the-scenes information about the wars, for example.  I recommend this one definitely.


"Created and hosted by the Independence Hall of Philadelphia."  Benjamin Franklin, Betsy Ross, and the Liberty Bell are just a few of the topics covered in this website.


This is wonderful compilation.  A convenient list of websites one can visit to learn more about a given topic of history. 


Has a "Today in History" and a Quiz sections.  It has videos and forums, too.  Worth taking a look at this website.

Well, that's just a sampling of what is available out in the internet.  Teaching and learning about history do not have to be boring.  Excitement can be brought about if one takes a chance at using technology to learn.


Well, thanks for reading this entry.  I hope I have provided some useful websites for history.  

How about you, my readers?  Would you use websites to teach history?  Have you turned to the internet, without knowing you could learn about a historical subject?  Assigning a website to learn about the American Colonial life would be a fun way for children to learn.  How about allowing your children to view videos and virtual tours of their favorite topics.

I pray that God gives you all, my beloveds, His wisdom and peace.

This has been an entry for the Technology Tuesdays series.



2 comments:

  1. We love to use the internet as time allows. However, history is one of those subjects that my kids love, no matter the source. The love Drive Thru History DVDs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi,

    Thanks for your comment.

    I have heard about those DVDs. I wish I could get them.

    I love that the internet allows for us to find a lot of information. It makes the world smaller. I can talk to different people from different parts of the world. I feel closer to family and friends, even though we are miles apart.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...