The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Being The Light: My Contemplation of Verse 27 of the Tao Te Ching

Dr. Dyer's book is Change your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao.

Today, I want to focus on verse 27 of the Tao Te Ching, specifically these portions:


Be wise and help all beings impartially,
abandoning none.
Waste no opportunities.
This is called following the light.

What is a good man but a bad man's teacher?
What is a bad man but a good man's job?
If the teacher is not respected
and the student not care for,
confusion will arise, however clever one is.
This is the great secret.


I was viewing Dr. Phil yesterday.  He and his guests were discussing the topic of bullying.  Then, I knew that I had to discuss this particular verse.  I was compelled to tie in the idea of bullies needing to be taught by good teachers.  Bullies need to learn about what their impact is on the people around them.

Those that are wise are not to boast about it, but to share of what they know.  A good teacher, who imparts wisdom, does not judge the shortcomings of the student.  Rather, the teacher realizes that the student, for example, the bully, has much to learn.  Further, the teacher takes the teachable moments and uses them wisely.  This is how the teacher sheds light to the darkness, or ignorance.

We must realize that we are capable of being teachers.  There are students all around us, especially our children.  Even we ourselves stand to learn something new.  I think it is very sad when some people don't understand this concept.  We all should be in a constant state of learning.  

The question arises of whether we are willing to learn.

That's why I think it's important to respect each other.  I think it's important to understand that our children can teach us, too.  Even though we are adults, our children can be quite awesome, too.  I just saw a fellow homeschool mom post on Facebook that her own son was an inspiration to her.  I thought that was a special blessing that she bestowed on her child.

At the same time, I think it's important to nurture a child's learning and self-esteem.  Let's use the correct language, with the right tone of voice, when we communicate with our children, especially our teenagers.  Please know that I have to do the same thing.  I need to remember to use the correct methods to teach my children.  We need to capture the hearts of our children through our words and actions.
We are meant to be a blessing to each other, whether student or teacher, whether parent or offspring.

Let's be a light in each other's lives.


How about it, my friends?  Are you a light in your family?  Do you see your children as a light in your life?  Is there a sense of respect in your family?  I would recommend all parents to look for opportunities to teach respect.  I encourage you to pray to God to show you how respect and love can be taught within the home.

May God bless you, my beloveds, with His wisdom and peace, in Jesus' name.  Amen!

This has been an entry for Wisdom Wednesdays.

I am currently drawing inspiration from Dr. Wayne W. Dyer's book and the 81 verses of the Chinese wisdom book the Tao Te Ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...