The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

E is for Educational Videos and DVDs



I'm currently participating in 
an ABC's for homeschooling challenge.  
Since it falls on Tuesdays, 
I am adding a technological slant to the challenge.  
I hope you stay tuned and enjoy my entries.


We placed educational all VHS and DVDs on this rack.
First shelf-I recently bought these videos from a friend.

Since my children are creeping into the high school years, 
I thought it would be a good idea to buy these math videos.  
These videos cover fractions, Algebra, and angles.


Second and third shelves


Closeup of 1st half of 2nd shelf-contains some phonics videos.

This shelf contains some videos for the younger ages.  
I have some Magic School Bus and Sesame Street.


Closeup of 2nd half of 2nd shelf contains Civil War videos.

You can see one video of an old show called Zoboomafoo.  
Also, there are two from Schoolhouse Rock.


Closeup of 1st half of 3rd shelf-contains videos of literature.

Here are some classic stories like Dumbo and Bambi, 
which are based on real books.


Closeup of 2nd half of 3rd shelf-contains videos of literature.

Here I have videos of Oliver Twist, Little Women, 
and Sherlock Holmes.


Closeup of 1st half of 4th shelf-contains Biblical videos.

The Ten Commandments teach about the Bible very clearly.


Closeup of 2nd half of 4th shelf-contains VeggieTales videos.

VeggieTales and LarryBoy videos teach about biblical values.


Bottom shelf contains Leap Frog and Barney videos.


Some people cannot stomach Barney, but I found out that my youngest daughter liked him.  That's why I was glad that she could learn from Barney.  Even my oldest, who is now 15 years-old learned from Barney.  On the same shelf, there are Leap Frog videos.  I especially love the one that teaches how to bring words together.
 

Well, thanks for reading this entry.  I hope I have provided some advice on how to use technology to teach various topics, like math and phonics in your homeschool.  Even if you don't homeschool, all children can benefit from viewing these types of learning tools.

How about you, my readers?  Do you teach with educational videos and DVDs?  Do you fear your children will get hooked on television-viewing?  I encourage you to consider using the videos.  My children have learned from them and yours can, too.  Also, my children are not hooked on television.

I pray that God gives you all, my beloveds, His wisdom and peace.

This has been an entry for the Technology Tuesdays series. 

2 comments:

  1. As I mentioned on The Homeschooled Life FB Page we actually threw out many movies that we found didn't really feed our children in any sort of positive way, other than for purely entertainment purposes (which is okay) but as a family and (limited.)

    We kept all the DVD's and Videos that are educational in way or another. There is also a website where you can rent educational videos for all ages: http://www.aplusvideorentals.com/ We use to get movies from there they have a nice variety. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Homeschooled Life,

    Yeah, there are lots of movies that are pure entertainment. We do have a few of them. I think kids should be able to enjoy themselves at times.

    The majority of videos we have are educational. I think our kids should learn something from most of what they watch.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...