The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Monday, May 16, 2011

Fructose & Other Ingredients in Our Food

Bran Flakes Cereal comes with fructose.
Ingredients for bran flakes cereal.

I have been trying to get healthy.  It is a deep struggle, muddling through the information that is out in the world.  There are so many choices of foods in the supermarket.  I have been praying for God to point me to the truth.  Slowly, I have been digesting the information that is out there.

I had posted about using bran cereal, specifically the one shown above.  I had heard that bran cereal is good for you.  That has not changed.  What has changed is that the particular one above has high fructose in it.  I did not catch that when I bought it; I threw it out immediately, after seeing a lengthy video about fructose.

You can see the video in www.youtube.com.  

Just click on 


"Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. Series: UCSF Mini Medical School for the Public [7/2009] [Health and Medicine] [Show ID: 16717]"

The doctor claims that fructose acts like a fat and an alcohol, which hurt your body in countless ways.  He said that there is an epidemic of 6 month old babies, yes, babies, with obesity.  Why?  He claims, with research, that the cereal and juices given through WIC, the program Woman, Infant, and Children, is giving those babies highly sweetened foods.  Further, he shows the chemical reactions that the fructose does to the body, with diagrams, to show how the liver tries to process this terrible ingredient.

That was a full load to learn in one sitting. I saw that hour and a half video. I'll admit that I got lost on the chemistry of the doctor's explanation. I also had a whole load of emotions.  I recommend that everyone see this video; you will then understand my frustration.

I am trying to get healthy.  I am trying to keep my children healthy.  It angers me that I can't get healthy because of the food and their additives. I think I am also saddened that greedy companies don't care about our health, just their money. What do I do with this anger?

 

12 teaspoons of sugar.
12 teaspoons equals almost 1/4 of cup of sugar

 


Anyone who knows my husband, has seen him with his usual can of Pepsi. I had heard that each can of regular Pepsi uses about 10 teaspoons of sugar. I might be wrong; I might be right. I just found a table online that says Pepsi has about 10 teaspoons of sugar. I use about 1-2 teaspoons of sugar for a cup of tea or coffee, but my husband heaps a lot of sugar; I think he might be addicted to sugar.

 

Here is the table I found, which lists other soft drinks as well:

Amount of Sugar in Various Kinds of Soft Drinks

Goober grape that my youngest son loves to eat.

My husband also likes and introduced Goober, which is peanut butter swirled with grape jelly, to my kids. Guess what Goober has? Yes. High fructose corn syrup is one of the ingredients.  I need to wean my son of off that poison.

Opening my Facebook this morning brought me another piece of information. Supposedly, other "good" ingredients, like added vitamins and minerals are not good for you. In fact, they are considered dangerous. They have been banned in other countries. I'll let you read the article so you can see for yourself:

Breakfast Cereals and Junk Foods - Poison for Our Children


"Andreas Moritz is a writer and practitioner in the field of Integrative Medicine. He is the author of 13 books on various subjects pertaining to holistic health, including The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush, Timeless Secrets of Health and Rejuvenation and Cancer Is Not a Disease. His most recent book is titled 'Vaccine-Nation: Poisoning the Population, One Shot at a Time'."

What is one to think?  What is one to do?  I am putting this information together to inform.  I'm not here to scare anyone.  I am simply using my anger in a positive manner.  

After seeing all of this information, we can do one of two things.  We can pretend that this information is wrong.  We can act on this information.  We can vote for what we really want--fresh food in the form of fruits and vegetables.  We can vote with our dollars by buying the fresh food and growing it ourselves.

How about you, my readers?  What foods are you buying and/or growing?  Are you trying to buy the right snacks?  I know that the information about foods can be quite frustrating.  I pray that you seek out the best foods for the sake of your health.  The children in your life are also depending on you to choose the best foods for them, too.

May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace.  

This is an entry for Medical Mondays.  For past entries, click here.

Disclaimer: The viewpoints that I discussed here are just my opinions.  Please consult your physician before altering anything relating to your health.  I am only suggesting here to take charge of your health.  Don't just leave your health in the hands of your doctors; become your own advocate.  You know best how your body is doing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...