The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tai Chi for Physical Education

Tai Chi is available free on YouTube.

To homeschool means to teach many subjects.  To homeschool means to teach in different manners.  To homeschool means to present different material and subject areas.  It is no different with physical education.  If you know something about me--I don't go with the flow of conformists, even within homeschooling.

Background to using Tai Chi:

That's why I decided to present Tai Chi to my teen daughter.  She had already expressed a desire to learn some Martial Arts.  I can't afford to put her in a Kung Fu or Judo class.  I was also looking at some Martial Arts movies and a documentary about Bruce Lee.  That's when I got the idea to use materials I already own.

I've used yoga, which is low impact.  I know that Tai Chi is low impact exercise, too.  The movements are slow but manageable.  I know that my daughter wants to learn how to defend herself.  This might be a good beginning for her because Tai Chi means "Supreme Ultimate Fist;" others refer to it as "shadow boxing." 

While looking at the documentary about Bruce Lee, Tai Chi was mentioned a few times.  I'm hoping that Tai Chi will be a stepping stone for her.  I don't know where this little journey will take us.  Together, we'll take it as far as we can.  I just want my daughter to gain the benefits of Tai Chi.

What is Tai Chi:

Tai Chi is a form of exercise, using slow movements.  It is a form created by the Chinese as a Martial Arts method, which can function for defense and medical reasons.  Some forms have evolved over time.  Some forms use chants, but I am not concerned with that.  I am concerned with the benefits of the movements.

According to Wikipedia, the following are some benefits of Tai Chi:

--Reduces diabetes

--Decreases depression (mental health)

--Reduces ADHD in teens

--Reduces high blood pressure (stress)

--Helps balance (prevents falls for the elderly)

--Helps stroke patients

--Helps multiple sclerosis

--Helps fibromyalgia (fatigue)

--Helps Parkinson's

--Helps Alzheimer's

--Helps heart problems

--Helps burn calories

--Helps osteoarthritis of the knees (pain)


Here are two materials I'll be using:


This is the Tai Chi DVD I own.
This is the back of the DVD.

The DVD is Tai Chi: Beginning Practice with David-Dorian Ross, 2004 Gaiam, Inc.  I think I bought this one at Target, but I'm not sure.
 
 
This is the Tai Chi book I own.
This is a page inside the book, showing a step with pictures.
This is a sample of a routine bringing steps together.
 
The book is Step by Step Tai Chi by Mater Lam Kam Chuen, 1994 Fireside.  I bought this at a library book sale.
 
Both of these resources are available through www.Amazon.com. Just click on the titles.  I am personally more partial to the book.  I plan to start with the book and use the DVD later.  I think starting with the basics is more important.
 
 
Well, thanks for reading this entry.  I hope I've given an idea of a different way to teach physical education.  I hope this helps those of you wondering how to teach physical education in a unique way, like through Tai Chi. 

How about you, my readers?  For those of you who homeschool, what are you using for physical education?  Have you researched ways to get your kids moving?  I think it's important for children to find a method of movement that is beneficial for them.  I encourage you all to look for the right physical activity for your children.
 
I pray that God helps us all, whether we are homeschooling or are thinking of homeschooling.


May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace, as you teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.

Disclaimer: The viewpoints that I discuss here are just my opinions.  Please consult your physician before altering anything relating to your health.  I am only suggesting here to take charge of your health.  Don't just leave your health in the hands of your doctors; become your own advocate.  You know best how your body is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...