The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Keeping It Simple, Silly: My Contemplation of Verse 37 of the Tao Te Ching

Dr. Dyer's book is Change your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao.

Today, I am focusing on verse 37 of the Tao Te Ching:



The Tao does nothing,
but leaves nothing undone.

If powerful men
could center themselves themselves in it,
the whole world would be transformed
by itself, in its natural rhythms.

When life is simple,
pretenses fall away;
our essential natures shine through.

By not wanting, there is calm,
and the world will straighten itself.
When there is silence,
one finds the anchor of the universe within oneself.


What do I want out of life?  riches?  fame?  health?  fun?

How much of those things are realistic?  Which of those desires are reachable?  Which of those should I reach for?  How can I know what to seek?  Who can help me figure this out?

These are the questions I have as a 40 year-old.  The answers have changed as the years have gone by.  It's funny how, as a youngster, I had the whole world before me.  As I've grown older, I've learned to expect less.  Yes, I've settled to some extent.

One thing I've learned is that I shouldn't step over my family and friends.  I've had that happen to me.  It doesn't feel right.  I try not to do it to others, but I'm sure I've done it.  Honestly, I don't set out to do it, but it happens.  I just believe so much in the idea of doing to others what is done to me.
 
I don't ask for much out of life anymore.

I am a firm believer in keeping things simple.  I don't like to eat fancy meals with lobster and squid.  I don't like fancy clothes with designer labels.  I don't like gigantic houses because their upkeep is difficult.  I don't like fancy cars because someone will vandalize it.

I don't want anyone to think I hate luxury because I don't.

The reality is that I can't afford those fancy things.  I don't want to desire those things when I have no money.  I don't want to strive for those things at the cost of my family.  I choose to stay home with my kids because I liked having my own mother at home with me.  I loved it.

I felt the security of having my mom at home.  I wanted my kids to have that.  I felt the anchor of family with my mother.  I wanted to give my kids the same.  That's not to say I do everything for them; I am simply here for them when they need me.

Sure, I could make loads of money, in one way or another.  Believe me, I've tried it.  It just didn't fit.  I feel my kids have a deeper sense of who they are.  We don't need anyone to tell us how to be a family.

My true nature is to be an on-site loving, supportive mother.  I have a strong desire for peace.  If I see that people around me are contentious, I keep away from them.  I don't need all the drama.  Perhaps, that is related to my introvertedness.

I rarely yell at my kids.  They can hear me.  I don't need them to yell to be heard or understood.  I've tried to model how to converse by having after-dinner discussions, with a normal voice.  I want my children to be able to communicate their wants and needs beyond their home life.

In our home schooling journey, I have worked hard to foster a deep sense of self.  I don't go for pretenses.  I go for whatever the natural bent of my kids.  I try not to criticize too much.  I try instead to encourage.  

My definition of success is this: My kids respect others.

These are the questions I'm constantly asking myself: How do my kids act around others?  How do they react to people?  Are my children polite?  Do they run around in the store?  Do my kids fight with each other or other children?

In short, my children 
are a simple reflection of me.


Thanks for reading today's post.  
I appreciate it.  
I hope this post blesses you, my dear readers.

I've got some questions for you: What is your definition of success?  Do you meddle in other people's lives?  Are you living a life of simplicity?  How much do you want out of life?  I pray we all seek our true nature. Let's ask God to help us keep our lives simple.  He will surely help us.

May God bless you, my beloveds, with His wisdom and peace, in Jesus' name.  Amen!

This has been an entry for Wisdom Wednesdays.

I am currently drawing inspiration from Dr. Wayne W. Dyer's book and the 81 verses of the Chinese wisdom book the Tao Te Ching.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...