The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Friday, July 29, 2011

No Takeout Challenge Update #4

I've kept my slow cooker busy these past few weeks.

This week was definitely a challenge.  I am tired.  I've made more meals this week than I have in a long time.  I took a day off on Wednesday.  Hubby had to pick up the slack.

 Normally, we would have bought takeout.

Hubby heated a pizza and steak fingers.  I had made a gravy out of a can of cream of mushroom.  He also made macaroni.  It was like a cafeteria.  Seriously, that's the way he cooks.


Chicken cooked in crock pot.

Earlier this morning, I set some chicken tenders in cream of mushroom.  I added a can of carrots and a can of potatoes.  I had a seasoning packet of herbs for a chicken meal.  All I had to make was the brown rice that would accompany my crock pot compilation.  We ate it for dinner tonight.

As we have moved away from buying takeout, I am planning other changes.  I'm thinking of what we can remove from our diet.  I'm thinking what to add to our diet, too.  All these baby steps are for the benefit of my family's health.  The incremental changes have been easier to digest.

Hubby is the only one still drinking his Pepsi.

Since we've had no takeout for a month, my kids have drank no soda.  That's a plus because I don't need their bones to go brittle.  Also, I have controlled what fats they are digesting because I use olive oil.  I would like to move towards coconut oil, but it's expensive.  Still, I want to incorporate it.

I have been drinking orange juice instead of soda.

Another change, at least for me, is to get away from "orange juice."  I'm hearing about flavor packs being added to orange juice.  I don't need any more chemicals in my body.  It will be hard on my kids because we all like cranberry juice.  My oldest loves apple juice.

We are still drinking lots of water.

All of my kids are extremely slim.  I am thankful to God that they are not overweight.  I do want them, though, to be at a healthy weight.  Buying fresh fruits and vegetables is my goal.  Being able to afford to buy them is another; no matter what, we need to keep buying them.

My kids love bread.  White bread is bad for us.  We buy Iron Kids bread.  I would like to buy more whole wheat bread.  Is it possible for my kids to eat wheat bread?

I also want to buy more grass-fed meat.  It's also expensive.  I do want to eat this meat, though, because it is healthier.  I want to eat meat free from antibiotics and hormones.  I've felt healthier after eating such meat.

I want us to move away from buying processed snacks.  Goldfish and cookies are delicious, but we don't need the empty calories.  We need nutritious foods.  I'm thinking that alternatives like carrot sticks are in order.

Those are some of the plans for the next month of August.  I pray that God will keep helping us in our resolve. 
Thanks for reading this update.  I appreciate all your tips and prayers.  I hope to share more tips in the coming weeks to aid others in this challenge of going without takeout.  Stay tuned!

I've accepted this no-takeout challenge, which began Friday, July 1st to December 31st.  It is not easy, but I know it is worth it.  I want the many benefits that can come from not eating out.  If you want to know more about this challenge, you can visit the SIX Month Money Challenge Facebook page.  If you would like to join, please "like" the page and join the yahoo group that accompanies it, as well.


How about you, my readers?  How often do you buy takeout?  Have you ever tried not buying takeout?  What's the longest you've gone without takeout?  I encourage you to see how you can cut out takeout.  I think it's worth a try.  The benefits are endless.
May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace.

This entry has been part of the Family Fun Fridays series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...