The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, July 14, 2011

Spelling for High School

Book I'm using for spelling for high school.

In the state of Texas, one of the subjects that must be taught is spelling.  I know that spelling (or vocabulary) can be covered within grammar or reading.  I decided to split Language Arts into: reading, grammar, writing, and spelling.  Some homeschooling moms might like to take spelling words from within the reading.  That is one great idea.

One day, we visited Half Price Books.  I saw the book (pictured above):

Words You Should Know In High School: 1000 Essential Words To Build Vocabulary, Improve Standardized Test Scores, And Write Successful Papers [Paperback] by Burton Jay Nadler (2005), which can be found in Amazon.com.


I bought the book because I realized I could use it for my up and coming ninth grader.  In fact, I'd be set for the whole of high school.  I also envisioned using it for my other kids.  To compile the lists for 4 grades, 9th to 12th, would be time-consuming, but it would pay off at the end.  I figured I would make sets of 10 for every school week.  

This means I would have 25 sets for every high school year which equals 1,000 words total.


This is a sample of spelling lists I created from the book.
I put tabs on the book.

I placed tabs for every letter of the alphabet within the book.  This has helped me find the words for my lists, which I have yet to finish.  (I would like to make the lists available from this blog at some point.  Please be patient.)  The tabs are also helping my son find the words because the definitions can be found in the book.  Yes, the book is a mini-dictionary.


This a sample page of the book, showing definitions.

The book also includes a list of useful roots and prefixes to help a child breakdown words not readily known.  Three articles at the end cover words a child should know about college.


Document found through The Organized Classroom Blog.

I found the document, titled Differentiated Spelling Homework Menu (pictured above), from Charity Preston.  This document allows my children to study their spelling words as they choose.  I liked giving my children options on how to work with their spelling lists.  

I love getting free documents, and you, my readers, can find it at Teachers pay Teachers.  To access the document, you will have to subscribe to the website.  It is worth subscribing because you can find other free resources at the website.

 

To find out more about Charity Preston (yes, I'm plugging her because she's that awesome!), visit her Facebook Fanpage at:

The Organized Classroom Blog, which can be found through Facebook


I'm giving credit to creator of document.

Choices are highlighted.

I asked my son to highlight the choices for how to study his spelling words.  This gives him a sense of control over how he handles his work.  I liked having the ability, through a document, to give him an opportunity to make an educational decision.  I'm not using the points system, though.  The document is great for other grades besides high school; I'm using it with my fifth and seventh graders, too.


Well, thanks for reading this entry about how I am addressing the issue of spelling for my children.  I hope I've given a unique idea of how to teach spelling, especially for the high school grades in Texas.

How about you, my readers?  For those of you who homeschool, what are you using for spelling?  Are you satisfied with your spelling curriculum?  Do you combine spelling with other subjects?  It's perfectly fine to combine subjects.  Spelling is required in Texas.  I have chosen to isolate spelling in my homeschool.
 
I pray that God helps us all, whether we are homeschooling or are thinking of homeschooling.


May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace, as you teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.

 

4 comments:

  1. for me, word roots was the key to spelling. I can spell words that have common word roots. maybe not much else, but I got something.....

    We never did spelling past elementary grades when I went to school. we just learned by trial an error at that point I guess. maybe I'd spell better if we had spelling stuff later...

    (we don't teach spelling here though, not as a subject)

    I like the TAB idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,

    Thanks for replying here.

    I do plan on covering root words, prefixes, and suffixes. I would like to cover Greek and Latin words, too. I want my kids to get a good foundation to words.

    I remember that spelling was not focused on so much in high school, but I had had great teachers teach me spelling in the elementary grades here in Texas.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity,

    I'm glad you approved. I've been very blessed with the content you've provided over the months. Keep it coming!

    God bless,

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...