The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, September 29, 2011

Teaching How to Crochet

I Taught Myself to Crochet book
Back cover of I Taught Myself to Crochet

Left-hander's instructions
Right-hander's instructions

I have been on a new push to crochet.  I get excited when the weather changes to the cool seasons.  I always look forward to making new things.  I like the chance at creativity.  This year is no different.

As soon as I took out the yarn and hooks, the kids made their requests.  Most of them asked for the triangular hats like the one below.  My oldest son asked for a bag, a gray one, to be exact.  That's the project I'm working on right now.


Santa-type hat I crocheted for younger son

I really did teach myself how to crochet.  I used the book above that came complete with hooks and needles.  I didn't wait for anyone to teach me; I took the initiative to learn.  It's something I hope my kids will do, when they want to learn something new.  Already, I see my youngest daughter, who is six, wanting to learn how to crochet.

Here's how I started to teach Kaelyn:  Over the years, I've given Kaelyn a ball of yarn and a large hook.  I've simply let her play with those items with no particular objective, except to expose her to the materials.  (This is akin to Montessori teaching.)  Recently, she wanted more definitive instructions so I let her see the pictures for right-handers.  I asked her to learn how to hold the hook, and that's as far as we've gotten.

Would I like her to learn how to do more?  Yes, of course, I would.  I just want to not frustrate her.  I want to take it easy.  I do know that my nephew, who was a left-hander did learn how to make a simple chain to create a bracelet; I am confident that my children can learn how to crochet.

The biggest challenge for me is that I am left-handed.  Most of my kids, who want to learn how to crochet, are right-handed.  Luckily, I have the book, which has directions for right and left-handers.  I also have the internet.  Over the years, I have found lots of useful hints and tips at wonderful websites.
 
Here are some helpful websites with patterns:
 
 
 
 
 
How to Make Potholders (my first project)
 
Well, thanks for reading this entry about teaching how to crochet.  I hope I've given you some ideas for teaching crochet, a wonderful creative craft.

How about you, my readers?  How have you taught your children about creating with crafts?  Have you ever considered crocheting and/or knitting?  Your children can benefit from learning how to craft blankets, pillows, pot holders, and/or hats.


May God bless us all with His wisdom and peace, as we teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  
 
If you enjoyed this blog entry, please press the "like" button below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...