The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, September 22, 2011

Teaching About Money

Kaelyn, my 1st grader, enjoyed her shopping.

Kaelyn was looking forward to shopping.

A few days ago, I asked my youngest if she wanted to play store.  She was so excited that she told her oldest brother about it.  I felt so bad the next day because I was under the weather.  Yes, I go through that a lot.  I still decided to go through with it by asking her to bring her toy food into my bedroom.

I loved watching Kaelyn shop and purchase.

The toys ended up on my bed.  I crocheted while she shopped.  Once she had finished choosing her foods, I tallied it up on the white cash register or yellow calculator.  Then, I asked her to pay with the fake money which we had purchased with a cheap cash register tray. 


We used the scanner on the white cash register.
Play money was fun and great hands on learning.
A handy calculator added up some of the purchases.
Priced crayons provided direct experience of purchasing.

My daughter is still learning about what each coin represents.  Years ago, I had made the manilla folder, pictured below, for my oldest (who is now 15 years-old).  I want my youngest child to enjoy learning about money.  I also like making teaching material for my kids to learn concepts like money.  That's why I made the following available to her during her shopping experience:


Manilla folder with money worksheets aided the learning.
Worksheet about money can be found at Enchanted Learning.
 
It's easy to put together a manilla folder like the one above.  You can find worksheets (and cut and paste bits) that reflect the math facts and/or other subject which are desired.  Enchanted Learning is a wonderful website with lots of useful worksheets.  That's a website that features many subjects and even a paid membership.  Many of the worksheets are free, though.
 
 
Well, thanks for reading this entry about teaching money.  I hope I've given you another idea for teaching money, one of the first math concepts for the elementary grades.

How about you, my readers?  How have you taught your children about money?  Have you ever considered using fake money and mini-posters to teach early childhood learning concepts?  Your children can benefit from using a hands on method to learn.


May God bless us all with His wisdom and peace, as we teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  
 
If you enjoyed this blog entry, please press the "like" button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...