The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Knowing the World: My Contemplation of Verse 47 of the Tao Te Ching

Dr. Dyer's book is Change your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao.

Today, I am focusing on verse 47 of the Tao Te Ching:

Without going out the door,
know the world.
Without looking out the window,
you may see the ways of heaven.

The farther one goes,
the less one knows.

Therefore the sage does not venture forth
and yet knows,
does not look
and yet names,
does not strive
and yet attains completion.


Knowledge--we all seek it.  We all want it.  We all need it.  How much do we need to know, though?  How can we obtain knowledge?

This 47th verse of the Tao Te Ching is saying we don't even need to venture outside of our home to obtain knowledge.  Lao Tzu explains that all we need to know is already within our reach.  In fact, Dr. Dyer mentions in his book, Change your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao, about understanding this concept.  He gives the example of us having a beating heart that knows what to do.  We don't control it, but it exists in our bodies to do its job; our hearts just know how to beat.

The information age rears its ugly head.

I've been contemplating just what it means to be surrounded by endless information (knowledge).  Yesterday, I was taking a break from technology (internet, which has sped the rate of information that is transmitted).  I looked out my window and saw some birds (nature) perched on a wire.  I was in awe that nature seemed to be winning over technology.  My heart sank when I saw an airplane fly behind the birds.

There comes a time when we must realize that seeking information is futile.  

Even King Solomon, who was the wisest leader, understood that knowing everything was pointless.  You see, there's a difference between wisdom and knowledge.  Knowledge is just information.  Wisdom is knowing how to employ the information to the best of our ability.  Are we living that out?

Let's become like the wisest of people--the sages.  They know when to quit striving for knowledge.  Let's allow the sense of completion to wash over us.  Let's go back to simplicity, which can bring us to that sense of completion.  Simplifying our lives can bring us peace, and isn't that what we all need?


Thanks for reading today's post about knowing the world.  
I appreciate you taking the time to read it.  


I've got some questions for you: Are you striving for the ultimate knowledge of things, people, technology, etc.?  Are you frustrated with information-seeking?  Do you want to experience peace?  I pray that we all would seek peace from the Source of everything--Father, God.  I pray that we would ask God for His help to experience a deep, loving, and mutually beneficial relationship with Him.

May God bless you, my beloveds, with His wisdom and peace, in Jesus' name.  Amen!

This has been an entry for Wisdom Wednesdays.


I am currently drawing inspiration from Dr. Wayne W. Dyer's book and the 81 verses of the Chinese wisdom book the Tao Te Ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...