The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting My Daughter Ready for NaNoWriMo

Teen daughter's watercolor painting

A few days ago, I was crying in lots of pain.  According to my husband, my teen daughter stopped working on her Notebook.  She painted with watercolors.  I think that was a lovely way to deal with her emotions.  My hubby said she couldn't concentrate on anything else.

I decided to do a few things with my daughter.  First, I helped my daughter transfer her watercolor paintings onto her USB flash drive.  Then, we brain-stormed, using a word web to organize some ideas to connect five of her watercolor paintings into one story.  I made sure to ask leading questions like, "Who are the characters?" and "What is the problem for the main character?"  Having taken my writing course, I now posses a better idea of how to lead her in story writing.

My dear daughter has just chosen to use the story for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), a challenge to write a novel within the month of November.  We participated in the challenge last year for the first time.  Fortunately, we met our goals of word count.  She accomplished 25,000 words, and I completed 50,000 words.  

I'm planning to participate again, as that is my daughter's wish.  We had fun sharing the experience.  I particularly liked bouncing ideas when we got stuck.  I chose to write my memoir.  Of course the challenge involves writing a first draft and does not require editing; it's mostly a challenge to finish a novel.

Well, thanks for viewing this entry about how I am getting my daughter ready for NaNoWriMo.  I hope I've given you some ideas for teaching about writing, one of the most important concepts for the teenager to learn.

Due to my upcoming participation in NaNoWriMo, for the month of November, I might post differently.  Stay tuned.  Thanks for understanding.

How about you, my readers?  How are you teaching your children about writing?  Have you ever considered using NaNoWriMo?  Your children can benefit from using a challenge to apply their creative writing on a daily basis.  There are free workbooks in PDF form available at the website for children and teens.

May God bless us all with His wisdom and peace, as we teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  

If you enjoyed this blog entry, please consider "liking" my Facebook fanpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...