The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

T is for Technology in the Home School



I'm currently participating in 
an ABC's for homeschooling challenge.  
Since it falls on Tuesdays, 
I am adding a technological slant to the challenge.  
I hope you stay tuned and enjoy my entries.


I love using technology in our home school.


For this entry, I wanted to find websites discussing technology being used in the home school.  I knew that I couldn't be the only person so gun ho on the idea of using technology to teach children.  I love what I found!  There are many websites that lead to other websites that allow children to use technology, like comic strip creation, in the classroom and/ or home school environment.  I also found articles and blogs that discussed the many facets and considerations to using technology in the home to teach.


I used the words, "technology to home school," in my search engine.  Here are the websites I found:

This is the most important question to ask.  Can such things as computers and software be beneficial to teach children?  I think if used right, technology can indeed be used to teach our children.  For example, my oldest, who is now fifteen years-old visited the website www.startfall.com when he was younger.  He learned how to read from that website, and he is now an avid reader.


This is a wonderful article that shows home schoolers might be at an advantage with regard to technology know how.  This article mirrors a lot of what we do with technology on any given day.  If the weather changes, we turn to www.weather.com.  If we have a question about whether there will be another sequel to Kung Fu Panda, we search through www.google.com.

This one is an article in yahoo content.  I am only sharing the link here so that you can visit it.

This is a powerpoint presentation.  I think its awesome.  You can actually see a visual presentation of information pertaining to how technology can be used to teach children.  I recommend this, as even I can learn something new.

This website shows a list of other websites.  They are actual websites which allow technology in the home school.  It includes websites like the one for creating a comic strip to cover writing.  My children are using a comic strip website called www.smackjeeves.com.

Even Squidoo features a lens dealing with technology in the home school.  I am so glad that others are sharing information.  I love Squidoo because the creator of the lens can go into detail about any given topic.  Someone took the time to put a list of websites and activities to explain how technology can be used in the home school.  

Jumpcut, a video manipulating software, was mentioned in this lens, but it leads to www.yahoo.com so I researched it.  Jumpcut, which had been bought by Yahoo!, is now defunct.  Still, this shows how technology has been used in a home school.  To find such a website that allows the user to manipulate a video is priceless.  I know my kids would love such software.

Because I didn't want to leave anyone hanging about the video editing idea, I found Free Video Editing.  This is a list of websites that offer the user the opportunity to manipulate videos.  I hope this helps someone who would be interested in presenting video editing to their children.


Well, thanks for reading this entry about how I've incorporated technology into our home school.  

Next week, I will be covering the letter U.  
Please stay tuned!


How about you, my readers?  Do your use technology in your home schools?  Have you considered using technology to teach your children?  If so, which methods do you use?  I believe in finding technological resources to help in the home school.  I encourage you to expose your children to education through technology.

I pray that God gives you all, my beloveds, His wisdom and peace.
This has been an entry for the Technology Tuesdays series.

6 comments:

  1. With so many virtual options homeschooling, it is another way technology is prevalent in the homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use technology in as many ways as possible for school! I love how much more information is out there now, and how we are a few mouse clicks away from lesson plans and even free programs that will help us and our kids! Technology rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Head Ant,

    I know what you mean. I love that we can use the technology, like software to teach our kids.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn,

    I love the internet so much. If I am away from the internet, I get withdrawal symptoms. LOL

    I love that information is literally at our fingertips.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We, too, use as much technology as possible in our schooling. DS responds better to learning on the computer than he does from books, so the majority of our time is spent with technology. Thanks for including so many links! I have bookmarked this post to come back to later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naomi,

    I'm glad you found blog entry so useful. Thanks for commenting, too. I appreciate it.

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...