The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chores for Our Homeschool

This is my master chore list.

I mentioned about chores on Monday's blog entry, Going Manic Over Lists.  I stated that creating chore lists was necessary for my sanity.  It's working great, by the way.  Today, I want to explain how I went about creating my current chore lists. 

I was becoming frustrated with the need to write up four chores lists.  I have a problem with organizing something if I can't see it clearly.  That's why writing out a running list was not working for me.  My kids are not in favor of cleaning a whole room (click for a simple Cleaning Check Lists printable I found) by themselves.  For example, one child puts dirty dishes into the dishwasher, while another one takes out the clean dishes.


This is the Topic and 8 Ideas Graphic Organizer.

I had been finding free printables for other subjects, like writing.  I found this simple organizer for a writing assignment.  It's much like a web or a cluster to help organize your ideas.  Now, that's a visual I could use to organize my thoughts about chores!

I used the organizer to list each room inside each triangle.  From that, I shot off chores that need to be done in each room.  Then, I used different colors of highlighters to assign chores to each of my four kids.  In the large circle, I posted extra chores that could not be listed in any room.  For example, assisting in creating menu plans and grocery lists were placed in the circle.


I used sticky notes to place on a blank chore list.

Once I had color-coded the chores in the organizer with highlighter markers, I placed each individual chore onto similarly-colored sticky notes.  You can see on the picture above how I placed most of the chores on the left side of the blank printable (found at currclick.com).  Most of those chores will be ongoing during the week.  The ones on the right are for individual days.


I used this chore system, which resembles others.

My previous chore charts were placed behind a sheet protector.  I found some playdough-like substance for hanging posters on the walls.  The mini-pictures were placed on the sheet protector.  Then, as the children finished the chores, they would use a marker to check them off.  That would be great if they marked them, but most of my kids did not mark them.

The problem is that the sheet protectors were becoming messy.  You can see the finished product below:


These chore lists are still behind a sheet protector, hanging in each bedroom.

I hand-printed the chores in each box.  Since Kaelyn is my youngest child, I still have both of these versions, inside a sheet protector.  It hangs in the girls' room.  She uses a marker to check off those chores she's done on the picture-filled chore list.  I am allowing her to do this because she is still learning how to read.

I then pull out the above version (which I placed behind the pictured chore list) and sign my initials at the bottom.  The signed list will show what she has been accomplished.  I can leave a note here and there when chores need tweaking.  We can also see the progress of what she's done in the weeks to come.  

A reusable chore chart inside a sheet protector is great.  To show the progress of each child, I want to make a new chart for each child for each week, at least for a few months.  For my two oldest, the teenagers, I will want to rotate the meals they work on.  That's why I have to customize their chore lists every week.

Writing out these chore lists is time-consuming.  I feel it's worth it.  My house seems more organized now.  I get help with keeping the house clean.  My kids get to learn that everyone pitching in helps to keep the house clean.

Chore list template is available for free as a download.

A few days ago after I had made my hand-written lists, I found this chore list template.  I downloaded it to my computer because I might use it.  I'm not good at creating templates because of the different versions of Windows and software (Microsoft Word and Open Office).  There is no need to re-invent a template as this one is available.  I simply will type in the chores and print it out.


Well, thanks for reading this entry about how I've organized our chore lists.  I appreciate you stopping by my blog.  I hope this entry helps some of you who are struggling to customize your own chore lists.

How about you, my readers?  How are you assigning chores?  Do you have a database printed out?  Or are your chore lists hand-written?  Over the years, I have used different methods of assigning chores.  I think it's important to teach our children about cleaning.  Also, our children need to see the big picture of teamwork at keeping our house clean, organized, and presentable.

I pray that God helps us find the right method of assigning chore lists.  May God bless us all with His wisdom and peace, as we teach our children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...