The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sixth Grade Curriculum Choices

This is a compilation of my 6th grade choices.

I came up with what I hope will work for my incoming sixth grader in our homeschool.  I had some material already, but I knew that I needed plenty more.  I had been using the large whole curriculum work books, but I wanted to move away from those.  I felt my son needed separate workbooks, which would keep him organized.


Spectrum material, as shown below, is presented in an easy format.  These workbooks can be finished within 180 instructional days.  My son is hyper and a slow reader so these books are perfect for him.  He can do a page per day.  For the reading book, I can have him read the story on the first day and then answer the questions the next day.

Language Arts for 6th grade is from Spectrum.
Reading for 6th grade is from Spectrum.
Spelling for 6th grade is from Spectrum.
Math for 6th grade is from Steck-Vaughn.
Writing for 6th grade is from Steck-Vaughn.

Steck-Vaughn material is priceless.  It is great for those needing remedial work.  It works for those who need extra practice.  It's great for those that need the work simplified.  I think it works great for both of my sons.

Science for 6th grade is from Merrill.
History for 4-6 grades is from McGraw Hill.
Social Studies for 6-7 grades is from McGraw-Hill.

For science and social studies, I simply have checked how many pages are in each book and divided it by 180 instructional days.  Thus, my younger son will have to read about 2-4 pages per day.  If he sees something of interest for that day, he can write it down on his spiral notebook.  In this respect, you could say that I am not assigning anything specific at this point for these two subjects.  My son started reading about the presidents this summer so I will let him stay with that into his sixth grade; when he finishes that up, he can move onto the green social studies textbook.

The books I've listed above can be found online (click on the picture captions).  Over the years, I have bought some of my material online, at yard sales, book swaps at local homeschool groups, and teacher book stores.  I like actually flipping through the workbooks like I did this past weekend at Lakeshore.  I asked my son for input as he would be the one using them.

Well, thanks for reading this entry about what I'm using to homeschool my sixth grader.  I hope I've given a unique idea of what could be included for teaching sixth grade.

How about you, my readers?  For those of you who homeschool, what are you using for sixth grade?  Are you satisfied with your curriculum choices?  Are you combining some subjects?  It's perfectly fine to combine subjects. 
I pray that God helps us all, whether we are homeschooling or are thinking of homeschooling.


May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace, as you teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...