The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Contemplation of Verse 17 of the Tao Te Ching

I contemplate the Tao Te Ching, verse by verse, with Dr. Dyer's help.

Today, I contemplate verse 17 of the Tao Te Ching, particularly this portion:

The great leader speaks little.
He never speaks carelessly.
He works without self-interest
and leaves no trace.
When all is finished, the people say,
We did it ourselves.”

I would like to say that I am that kind of leader in my home. As a mother, I lead my children everyday in their homeschooling life. I make my impact in their lives and hope that they will go out into the world and make their own impact. Sure, the impact I have in their lives will be there, but I don't expect any medals for it. I only hope I have done right by them.

As a mother who educates her children, I act as a facilitator. I have sat with them and taught them phonics, sight words, and basic math. I have let them go after their reading has improved. They can claim to do all the work after that. Yes, of course I do still help them, but I am hands off mostly.

Even some household chores are delegated to my children. They know how to sort, wash, and put away their clothes. They know how to sweep, pick up trash, and dust. My oldest are learning how to cook, as I slowly go hands off. Yes, I do hover around for safety's sake and add the spices, too.

The way I get things done in my house is not by barking orders at my kids and husband. I give lots of verbal praise and hugs. I love my family and know that we all must pitch in to get things done. I'm definitely not one of those mothers that does all the chores for everyone. I still do the grocery list, organize the house, and plan the children's education.

I can offer strategy and advice for how things can be done, but I leave it in the hands of those actually doing their chores. I keep criticism to a minimum. For example, I have noticed that my oldest has been folding the towels. I guess he realized that I couldn't quite get to them so he has taken up that chore on his own. I am very grateful for that simple act of kindness every week, even though he doesn't fold towels like my mother.

How about you, my readers? How do you manage the children in your life? Do you give enough verbal praise? Or do you think you need to improve? I hope you will consider that a dictatorial type of leadership can backfire. Think about it.

May God bless you with His peace, my beloveds. 


To read past entries about the Tao Te Ching (verses 1-15), please visit:
http://www.thoughts.com/Rebagv
The entry for verse 16 can be found here: http://bit.ly/dRB4wH
I am currently drawing inspiration for Wisdom Wednesdays from Change Your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...