The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Sunday, March 20, 2011

Embracing Proverbs

To embrace proverbs is to gain wisdom.

5 let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--  

6 for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise. 

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.


--Proverbs 1:5-7 New International Version 

If you are wise (learned), you will embrace more information.  Knowledge is power.  If you practice good judgment (discernment), then you should seek advice to keep perfecting that skill.  I am always on the search for information.  For example, I want to blog more effectively so I keep seeking information.  

What are proverbs?  I discussed this last week.  Proverbs are wise sayings.  Parables are short stories akin to fables.  Parables teach us lessons, like the story of the prodigal son being about humans going their own way and then coming back to God, the Father.

Sayings are proverbs, adages or idioms that have some wisdom behind them, like Chinese proverbs.  For example, "Wherever you go, there you are."  Funny, huh?  Yes, some of them are funny.  Riddles are puzzling questions like, "What starts to walk with four legs, walks with 2 legs later, and finally walks with 3.  The answer: Man.  He starts walking by crawling as a baby, then walks with 2 legs and then as he grows older, uses a cane to help him walk. 

To fear (or respect, have in high regard) the Lord (of all Lords) is to begin to gain understanding (knowledge).  To me, this means that I must respect and love God to a high degree.  He, in turn, will give me more information that I need to function in this world.  This is like the Bible verse that I love the most: 

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

--Psalm 37:4 (New International Version)
 
I enjoy (delight in) God's love, like a little girl who basks in the presence of her earthly daddy.  He, in turn, gives me what I most desire--wisdom to help me live through this life. 

The alternative is for me to be a fool (stubborn person).  Fools hate being taught new things (wisdom).  Many times fools think they know everything they need to know; however, I know that I don't know everything.  I understand that I am inside the box called life.  Only God can see from the outside of my life.   That's why I turn to him when I am stumped for answers to my deep questions. 

Discipline (correction, instruction) is tough to take from others at times.  I am guilty of not listening to orders from God.  Who isn't?  It is best to turn back to God when we come to our senses.  He is more than willing to accept us and remind us of where we went wrong and to tell us what we can do to rectify the situation.


How does this tie in to homeschooling my children?  My hope is that my children will seek information whenever they are stumped for answers.  I hope they will turn to God when they are at the end of themselves.  He is  there, waiting to give the answer; after all, He is all-knowing.  

How about you, my faithful readers?  What do you think about what your children  should learn? Do you think they should keep learning beyond the classroom?  Or do you think they are done learning once they graduate from high school? What about you, the adults?  Are you satisfied with the information you have in your minds?  I challenge you to keep learning new things about yourself and the world around.  I especially encourage you to learn more about God. 

God bless you all with His peace, my beloveds.

This entry has been created for the Spiritual Sunday series. I hope you have enjoyed it.

To compile this mini- bible study, I visited: http://www.biblestudytools.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...