The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homeschooling Using a Netbook to Write

Daughter uses netbook to write for homeschooling.


Writing is an essential skill that must be taught to all children.  Homeschooled children are no exception.  It is challenging to find a way to motivate children to want to write.  Enter a rewards system!  When you present a technological toy in the mix, you can get wonderful results.

Take my daughter, Iris, for example.  She and her siblings saw the Astroboy movie that came out in 2009.    This caused my oldest son, Gabriel, to research in Wikipedia about Astroboy.  (You can see how the interest was born.)  This, in turn, led to him finding out that there was a whole cartoon series based on the Astroboy character.

My son found the cartoon episodes and pretty soon all four kids were seeing the episodes at all times of the day and night.  They have even found other comics from the creator of Astroboy.

This is all to say that my daughter, shown in the picture, has immersed herself in all things Manga and Anime.

Just to clarify things: Anime is the animation of the cartoon images; Manga is the still creations or artwork.  I know; the terms were confusing to me, too.  I had to look it up just now.  You see, Osamu Tezuka, a Japanese artist, created some comics (stills) or Manga, which eventually became Anime (the animated series).  I hope that clears it all up.

Anyway, so here is a snippet of one story that Iris created (and yes, I am sharing with her permission):


 I run across the soft field of grass, the morning dew tickling my bare feet.  The rising sun casts a warm, yellow glow across the green grass.  I look over my shoulder to see if my tormentor is still onto me.

I am surprised to see that no one is behind me.  I slow to a trot, my eyes darting from left to right...


I don't even think I could write that well.  

Iris is super at writing.  I've told her that, too.  She's a doubter, just like me.  I'm proud, though, of all the strides she's taken to become such a good writer.  Just think--this was the child who was afraid to write her name for fear that it wouldn't turn out perfectly.

That's why she got the Netbook she wanted.  I wanted for her to have a means to quickly put down her ideas.  I knew she had it in her to create brilliant stuff on paper.  Having the Netbook where she can create and store her story ideas is ideal for her.

Buying the Netbook has paid off.  Ever since we got it for her two years ago, Iris has been on it nonstop, visiting forums, watching more Anime, and writing bits of her stories.  She still has many ideas for stories just waiting to be said, in her own voice.

How about you, my readers?  Do you have a budding writer in your life?  Or are they interested in another type of art?  Whatever the craft is, please encourage them.  Provide them the tools they need to do their craft.  You never know if they might become famous and make lots of money (for you).

God bless you all with His peace.

This has been an entry for Technology Tuesdays.  I hope you liked it.

1 comment:

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...