The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Contemplation of Verse 16 of the Tao Te Ching

 
Earthen vessel--our bodies are containers for our souls.
 Today, I am diving into verse 16 of the Tao Te Ching, specifically the following portions:

Amidst the rush of worldly comings and goings,
observe how endings become beginnings...

Things flourish, each by each,
only to return to the Source...
to what is and what is to be...

Not knowing this cycle 
leads to eternal disaster.

Knowing the constant gives perspective...

This way is everlasting,
not endangered by physical death.

It's amazing how one can get caught up with the things of this world.  The deadlines one has to meet and the doctors appointments, I hate, hate, hate with a passion.  Can you tell that I dislike being rushed?  I like to take it easy and not be rushed.  Some people don't mind the madness of it, but I am not one of those that can allow this world to stop me from appreciating life with a little rest.

This verse from a Chinese wisdom book encourages us to see the endings of chapters of our lives with a new perspective.  Have you lost a loved one?  Has a relationship in your life gone sour?  Take time to view it as a beginning to something new.  Endings lead to beginnings.

I know it's hard to view the bad situations in your life as opportunities for wonderful things up ahead.  I've been there.  I've seen both of my parents pass away.  I've lived through several broken relationships.  I'm still here.  I'm not gonna lie to you; these were tough situations for me.

I also know that I will go through more tough times in the future.  Nothing is certain, except that there are ups and downs in life.  A friend dies or decides he/she doesn't need you anymore.  A mother's tired body gives up, even though in her mind she wants to go on living.  It is hard to see her suffering, and you have to set your emotions aside.

I think true maturity in a person is in realizing that there are life events that end.  There, if you understand this concept, you are able to contemplate it and move on to the new chapters of your life.  I also believe that when something bad happens in your life, or a sad event is experienced, you should try something new.  I know that some authorities on grief recommend you should hang onto what is familiar, but sometimes you need to take on new traditions.  I know that for me, I could not celebrate Christmas the same way, after my own mother passed away.

During the Christmas season, she liked to decorate her house, with lights and a tree.  She liked to give gifts to the grandkids.  I used to wrap the presents (when I was a teenager) for her because I enjoyed the chance to be creative.  As I write this, tears well up in my eyes; it took a few years for me to develop new traditions within my own little family.  I must add here that I even became grief-stricken this past Christmas because my mother-in-law's health was deteriorating.

I share from my heart what I've been through to give encouragement and hope to those of  you grieving; you can move on from the sadness.  It is a climb to get past the event.  Believe me; I've been there.  Yes, when I was a teenager, the bad breakup with a beau hurt so much that I thought I would stop breathing, but I got through it You can, too.

Please understand that there is a life and death cycle of people, relationships, pets, plants, and anything else under the sun.  Even the chrome on a fancy car rusts, our bodies fail us, and people can be fickle--they will forsake you.  Isn't that so depressing?  The story doesn't end there, though.  There's more to this life.

The Source (Tao or God) of the Te (Power of God) is at work.  From the Bible, we know that God created the world and humans.  When our bodies (the containers that hold our spirit) fail us, our spirit does not die.  Our spirit returns to God.  Our spirit returns back to the Source (the Holy Spirit) from which it came.

Can you see why I am enjoying reading about the Tao Te Ching?  This wisdom book mirrors what the Bible says about our God and our relationship with Him.  Knowing the truth that our spirits live on helps me to continue living on this earth without that beloved person (my mother) who has departed from this world.  The way I come to terms with the passing of my own mother's physical body is to think that she (her spirit) is on a vacation and can't be reached.  At this point, she is simply resting in peace.

Am I sad that I can't call my mother and share with her what my week has been like?  Yes.  I still miss her; I'm human with emotions that God has allowed me to have.  I am able to understand, though, that I'm on this side of heaven and will someday see her, after the container of my spirit breaks.  The hope I have in me is that I'll be able to see my lovely mother again.

More than anything, I will be the happiest to see my savior, Jesus Christ.  I wait until the day I fall into His arms as He says, "Welcome.  You have toiled enough on earth.  It's time for you to rest."  Even I acknowledge that my body will someday fail me.  I have come to terms with that fact.

Do I have a death wish?  No.  I will say, though, that I have suffered so much physically and emotionally.  I just know that God loves me no matter what anyone says.  I will now offer this quote, in case there are naysayers who would like to punish me for looking at another source for spiritual insight:

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us [me] from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

--Romans 8:38-39 (New International Version, ©2011)

How about you, my readers?  What is your perspective on life and death?  What helps you deal with loss in your life?  I hope you have a faith that propels you forward in life.

Thanks so much for reading, my dearest friends and family.  I pray that what I just wrote about the life and death cycle gives some comfort for those who are hurting.

My beloveds, may God give you His peace.


To read past entries about the Tao Te Ching (verses 1-15), please visit:
http://www.thoughts.com/Rebagv

Disclaimer: To the many friends and followers who are Christian, I express a deep gratitude for teaching me and/or sharing with me about the Bible.  Please understand that I am looking at spirituality from a different slant to solidify my faith and leaning on the God of all Gods, the Father of Jesus Christ.  I have decided to share of what I am learning from Dr. David W. Dyer's book called Change Your Thoughts--Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao.  If this offends thee, thou is welcomed to by-pass this blog entry and others like it, in the future.  God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...