The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, June 30, 2011

Necessary Ingredients for a Successful Homeschool

My oldest child used a computer to learn--more than 10 years ago.


I still remember how I came to the decision to homeschool.  I had a friend who suggested I homeschool.  I had already done my stint at teaching in a public school.  I had decided after I gave birth to my first child, I would not be returning to work.  Since I had some background in teaching, I felt I had an advantage.

Once my oldest was of age to start learning academically, I began buying workbooks and educational software from Walmart and KMart.  Then, when we took in my tween-aged nephew, I had to think of more definitive curriculum.  That's when I turned to the following to help me decide what to use:

  
1. God - If there is anyone who can help with the decision to homeschool, it would be God.  Praying to God to see if that is His will in your life would be a great start.  God will truly bless your venture into homeschooling.  He will also provide the resources and people you will need along the way.
   
2. Spouse - Next, if the idea for homeschooling did not come from your significant other, now is the perfect time to approach him/her.  Having this person's approval and support can help you when needing to make decisions.  After all, this other person might be providing financially to the homeschooling adventure.  It's great to have the other person to bounce off ideas when there are challenges in the homeschooling.

3. Laws of the state - You have to be informed of what is required as far as content of learning material.  Some states are more lenient than others.  For some states, you need an umbrella school.  For some states, you need to keep a portfolio.  For other states, your children might need to take some tests.  For more information you can visit HSLDA, Home School Legal Defense Association.

4. Support - This is one of the most important ingredients to having a successful homeschool.  I have experienced both local and virtual support.  I am very fond of the friends I have gained over the years.  Many of them have helped me in my homeschooling journey by listening to my challenges and providing suggestions on what to do. 

5. Internet - Through the internet, you can meet others who homeschool.  You can research for methods of how to teach and learning styles of your children.  You can compare learning material.  You can also buy material at a cheaper price.

6. Calendar - You need to consider whether you need to teach for a specific number of days during a school calendar.  You might be able to homeschool year round, too.  It all depends on your state.  I like to homeschool year round because it gives me more time to fit in the learning.

7. Guts - Homeschooling is not for the "faint of heart."  You need to have tough skin because there are critics who will question your homeschooling.  Are your kids socializing?  Are they doing as well as public school kids?

8. Money - Yes, you do need enough money to pay for your material.  There are ways, though, in which you can homeschool on the cheap.  I'm telling you that I've cut corners.  You don't always have to buy the most expensive material out there.

9. Curriculum - What do you need to teach?  Math, reading, language arts, history.  You can find the books, workbooks, software, and hands on material online, through friends, book swaps, and even yard sales.  Believe me; that's how I've done it for more than ten years.

10. Learning - You have to be savvy, yes, when it comes to homeschooling.  More than anything, you need to love to learn.  Sometimes, I've learned new concepts about teaching and learning.  Sometimes, I've learned material I didn't know.  Sometimes, I have learned through others who are veterans at homeschooling.

Remember this: If you enlist God in your homeschooling journey, He will provide everything you need.  It's up to you to take action.  Do the research and seek out the people you want to emulate.  Just know that none of us are perfect.  We veteran homeschooling parents are simply trying our best.

Well, thanks for reading this entry.  I hope I've given an idea of the thought process behind my decision to homeschool.  I hope this list helps those of you still holding out on whether to homeschool. 

How about you, my readers?  For those of you who homeschool, how did you arrive at your decision to homeschool?  For those of you considering homeschooling, what is holding you back?  Have you researched the pros and cons of homeschooling?  I ask that those of you who are homeschooling please provide your comments and advice.  You never know how helpful you might be.  
 
I pray that God helps us all, whether we are homeschooling or are thinking of homeschooling.


May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace, as you teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...