The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hands On Materials for Kindergarten

Old MacDonald manipulatives

I love using manipulatives.  In previous posts, I have mentioned hands on materials.  Teachers are taught about using items that are to be held in hand.  Tactile learners benefit from hands on materials.  Here, I have pictures of different materials I've accumulated for the kindergarten age children.


A sampling of manipulatives

Closeup of ABC Bingo game

"Opposites" and "feelings" in flashcards

Handmade flashcards in index cards

Shapes in flash cards from different sources

Baggies hold manipulatives by type and subject

Booklets and sight words taken from a workbook

Puzzles combined with flash cards teach numbers

Die with pictured coins

Closeup of money die

Manipulatives out of baggie

Wheels that teach word families

Hands on flip book for word families

Closeup of flip book

Target words of a given book

Dr. Seuss book with target words to teach

I think you'll agree with me: there are many types of manipulatives.  Hands on materials can help teach a kindergarten child.  Even though it can be time-consuming to create hands on materials, it is worth it.  If you have more than one child to teach, it is definitely worth it to make and/or accumulate these materials.  Over the years, I have also bought some of these flashcards, workbooks, and puzzles either from a store and/or other homeschool moms.

Thanks for reading this entry and viewing these pictures.  I hope it has given you some ideas for teaching Kindergarten.

How about you, my readers?  Have you every used hands on material with your children?  Do you have children who are hands on learners?  Your children can benefit from using manipulatives to learn their subjects.  Even teenagers can learn through actual lab experiments, by dissecting and combining chemicals.  It's definitely something to think about.

I hope your children have enjoyed their learning time; Kaelyn has learned by using hands on materials.

May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.

2 comments:

  1. My older 2 liked things they could hold and move. We used lots of Legos, Dice, Beans, tweezers, insect toys, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,

    Nice to see you visited my blog.

    My kids and I love Legos. I still remember one summer, during my high school years, that we had to create a mini bridge with Balsa wood. Our instructor had to stand on it, without it crushing.

    I love hands on materials. They help me learn. I know they help my kids learn, too.

    God bless,

    Rebecca G.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...