The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Thursday, June 23, 2011

Preparing Teens for Their Career Choice

Career Match available through Amazon.com

I'm so excited about this topic!  

I've been wanting to address career choice and what it means to our teens.  I've also been wanting to share what I found out about my personality and what it tells about my ideal career.

I became concerned when I realized that my oldest was entering high school.  I thought, "Gee, I need to prepare my son for the big world."  I began to search in my mind about how to get my son on the right track.  That's when I did a search online for material that could help.  I found the book, Career Match: Connecting Who You are with What You'll Love to Do, by Shoya Zichy with Ann Bidou, at www.Amazon.com.  

I read through the reviews like a good potential buyer should.  I weighed whether to buy it.  I took the plunge.  When the book arrived, I must admit that I administered the quizzes to myself.  I read through the results.  I was surprised about the conclusions.  I decided to tell my kids about the book.

I administered the quiz verbally.

Basically, a person takes a ten minute quiz, which is broken down several times.  It's set up to lead you to check a series of questions.  You end up with two colors and figure out whether you are an introvert or an extrovert.

I tested my kids.  First, I tested the oldest.  He tested totally different from me.  My teen daughter turned out just like me.  

Then, my youngest son, who is 11, wanted to be tested, too.  He needed definitions to some of the words within the questions, but we got valid results.  I really do think his came out accurately, too.  It said that he needs order and a stable environment.  He also strategizes the order and manner of any given task.

I was the most surprised at some of my results.  It said that I belonged in the artistic arena.  I don't paint or draw, but I do love to write.  I did see that the results did pertain to my teenage daughter, who is into drawing.  What I did see is that our personality is spot on; we are both introverts.

I tested as a person like Diane Sawyer.  I like to observe and listen to people.  I also like to look at the big picture of things.  I also am non-confrontational.  I've always had a high respect for Diane Sawyer and am honored to be compared to her. 

As I read through the more specific colors, I came out as a good teacher.  That seems realistic because I homeschool my kids.  To be honest, I wouldn't mind if my kids later asked me to homeschool their kids.  I hate, hate, hate politics within the workplace.  In fact, I even quit my teaching job because of it.

The book further says that my personality would be the one to enjoy this book the most.  I also scored high on the need to write, and I had already started a writing course before I bought this book. Of course, I'm also blogging everyday.  

It is also true that I try my best not to push my ideas on others; yet, I can outline my stance on any situation.  I can take initiative on a job if given the opportunity.    As an introvert, I often go off alone to rest away from others.  I also enjoy managing my household, with patience and fairness.

Yes, I'd say that this book has described me very well.

As for my oldest, for whom I bought the book, he scored as an accountable person, and he is indeed my second in command.  When I give him orders, he needs me to spell out step by step how to do something.  I don't care if it is to fetch me something or to cook.  I think he does well once he has figured out the steps.  I think that's why he will be a good cook--he can follow directions.

It's no surprise that he is also an introvert.  He does need quiet when trying to go to sleep.  He is usually quiet at the dinner table, too, but I know that he listens.  As for the specific colors, yes, he scored right on.  He does look out for others.  He will let others eat their choices before eating his share.

He does have a strong work ethic.  He does his school work the night before.  He folds and hangs his clothes without having to be told.  My son also likes history and respects authority.  I rarely see him upset or combative.  


Well, thanks for reading this entry and viewing these pictures.  I enjoyed sharing this.  I hope I've given you an idea about how to lead a teenager into his/her possible careers.  The idea of directing a child into their potential career path can be daunting.  I'm glad we can turn to books like Career Match for help.

 
How about you, my readers?  Have you considered helping your children on the path to their careers?  Would you consider using simple quizzes like the one in Career Match to guide your teenagers?  What have you used to help your children to get on the right path to their ideal jobs?  We, as parents, must take the time to help our children to foster their sense of direction, especially as it pertains to career choices.  Please consider career counseling with your children, whether they attend public or private (home) school.


May God bless you all with His wisdom and peace, as you teach your children.

This has been an entry for Thorough Thursdays.  Hope you liked it.


For more information about the book, including the contents and sample pages, you can find it at Career Match through Google.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...