The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Sunday, April 10, 2011

Keep & Share The Ten Commandments

God's word is to be read and shared.
 
Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created man on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of ?

--Deuteronomy 4:32

The above verse is a teaser of sorts.  I have taken this special verse from Deuteronomy 4.  I felt compelled to read through the whole chapter because I had forgotten why I had included this Bible verse in a list that I created many years ago.  The list I had created featured special Bible verses.  These verses explained why I was teaching my children and what they must learn.

In the chapter, Moses was talking to the Hebrews who had come out of Egypt.  They had suffered much oppression, but God had delivered the people out of the rule of the Pharaoh.  Moses was reminding them about all that God had done for them.  He was also telling them about the promises that God had for them.  More importantly Moses admonished the people to listen and obey the rules that he was putting forth to them.

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

--Deuteronomy 4:9 

I love that Moses advised the people to do an oral history of what they had witnessed.  What had the people seen?  Because we have the Bible, we know.  Among the many miracles, they saw water turn to blood and the locusts overrun Egypt.  They were able to share with their children how awesome their God was.

And the LORD directed me at that time to teach you the decrees and laws you are to follow in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess.

--Deuteronomy 4:14

We know that the laws did not come from Moses.  No.  The Lord, God, was the author.  The law included what the people were supposed to follow.  Those were the ten commandments.  The important thing to understand was that it was part of a package deal.

Be careful not to forget the covenant of the LORD your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the LORD your God has forbidden.  For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
--Deuteronomy 4:23-4

IMPORTANT:
A covenant is an agreement between two parties, in which certain behavior will or will not be allowed.

The chapter goes on to explain what will happen if the people were to make an idol.  Verses 26-28 explain that destruction will happen to those who anger the Lord.  For the people not to keep the commandments would cause them to be scattered, and they would end up praying to dumb idols that would do nothing for them.  Verses 29-31, though,  explain the mercy of God if they turn from idol worship.  If the people turned back to God with their hearts, God would forgive them, keeping the agreement (covenant) that He had formed with the people.

Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.  Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God gives you for all time.

--Deuteronomy 4:39-40 
  
In closing, I encourage everyone to read the entire chapter 4 of Deuteronomy.  It's easy.  Just click here.  I think it is a perfect word for this season.  With Easter (or Resurrection Day) coming up, we need to be reminded of God's love and mercy for us, especially the requirements He has laid out for us in His covenant (agreement) with us, who have been adopted into the heirship of His chosen (Galatians 3:29).

How about you, my readers?  Are you keeping the ten commandments?  Have you shared the ten commandments with the children in your life?  I hope you take some time today to consider these questions.  It just might make a difference in the lives of your family members and yourselves, as well.

This has been an entry for Spiritual Sundays.  I hope you enjoyed it.

To compile this mini- bible study, I visited: http://www.biblestudytools.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...