The Intention of My Blog


Welcome, my beloved readers!

In case you're wondering, it's not a typo up there for you see the definition of goodly is:

used as an adjective to describe something
1. of ample or good size, ex: a goodly amount.
2. of a fine appearance, ex: a goodly young man.
3. Archaic. of good quality, ex: a goodly gift.

I am a mother who home educates her children; I would be pleased if you'd look around. You never know if I might have something to your liking. I've blogged about different topics. I hope you enjoy your stay here. May God bless you with peace, a renewing of your mind, and rest as you read my posts.

Please remember to subscribe to my blog, using any variety of methods, which are below to the right, including Facebook.

Thanks to all for your patience as I have been on the mend. I had double heart bypass surgery in February of 2013, and I needed to focus on my recovery, which has been in steady progress. Thanks for your kind consideration.


Thanks for visiting!



Monday, January 9, 2012

From Water to Walking: Update on Health Habits for January 2012


New Year's resolutions often involve health.

Getting healthy takes time and patience.

After I wrote up my list of healthy habits last week, I began to think of many others I could have listed.  Isn't it funny how one can think of all the things they aren't doing?  It's hard to start off small when attempting to improve life.  We are often impatient and want to do everything at once.  I must not overwhelm myself or I will quit like last year, and I don't want that.

Here is the update on my health habits:

1. I have slowed down on my blogging.  I have needed a break from it.  My wrists have needed a break.  Unfortunately, my brain feels guilty about not writing everyday.  Rest assured that I have ideas for new blog entries.  I just needed to break from doing it everyday due to burnout.

2. I have taken a few supplements.  Mostly, I have taken my probiotics.  I have also drunk detoxing tea.  After the long holiday season, I was left feeling sluggish.  I felt I needed to get some toxins out of my body.  The tea contains lots of beneficial ingredients for inflammation, too.

3. I have been eating breakfast.  This is very important to me.  It has set the tone of my day.  On days when I've eaten breakfast, I have had better days.  It didn't matter whether it was oatmeal and an omelet or potato/egg/corn tortilla tacos.  We also switched to a stronger coffee; I'm hoping that it will be strong enough to keep me awake while I wean away from soda.

4. I haven't gone to sleep early.  This ties in with caffeine.  I just stopped drinking soda this Sunday.  Caffeine keeps me awake at night so I have stay away from even chocolate late at night.  I have asked that my husband not keep any soda inside the house; if he must have some, it needs to stay in the van.

5. I started crocheting last night.  This always helps to clear my mind.  It is creative work, too.  I have to do this in moderation, though, because my arms, neck, and wrists start to hurt.  Still, it is fun to see something forming in my hands.  Hoping to make some Christmas-looking scarves and small blankets.

6. I am suffering with terrible headaches.  This could be due to several reasons, like: stress over home schooling; wanting to blog, thinking over the new year goals; concerning myself over bills; and getting off of soda.  The biggest thing is a seasonal allergy to mountain cedar.  I had a migraine last year in January so I am thinking it might be that I suffer with hay fever in a big way.  I had blogged about it last year so it's great that I documented it.

7. I am drinking water.  I started drinking at least four bottles of water last Wednesday.  A few days, I have drank five bottles of water.  I can already feel a big difference in my skin condition, and my face doesn't look so haggard.  I know it has to be helping my allergies, too, because it is keeping my nose hydrated.  I am currently charting my progress by marking the number of bottles on a calendar because I joined a water drinking challenge on Facebook. 

8. Haven't chucked the junk food.  January is a challenging month for me.  I am coming off of the holiday season, but my birthday is this month.  I love to celebrate my birthday with cake.  My hubby is spoiling me by baking me chocolate cakeS...oh, and don't get me started on potato chips.  Stress eating has me over-eating, which is bound to keep me from losing weight.

9. Last, I want to start walking.  It doesn't matter that I it's raining outside.  I will be donning the tennis shoes and pedometer.  I will walk around the dining room table and/or in place in front of the television.  I plan to start with 3,000 steps and work up to 10,000 eventually.


Friends, as I've said before, my quest to get healthier isn't just about weighing a certain amount. of pounds  That's why I don't like to deal in numbers.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to lose weight.  Who wouldn't?  My real aim is to feel and be healthier.

My kids love to join and cheer me on in my health quests.

I see that drinking water is helping me feel a lot better.  I've had to take baby steps to improve my health.  I want to rev it up to include the walking.  I feel this will get me pumped up to move more.  I also look forward to having my kids watch me and imitate me. 


Well, thanks for reading about my update on my health habits for January 2012.  I hope this blog entry encourages someone to develop their own health goals.

How about you, my readers?  Do you have any new health goals for January, in keeping with New Year's resolutions?  How do you plan to improve your health this month or this year?  I encourage you to assess your current health.  It's a great opportunity to adjust your habits to improve your life.   

If you need to improve your health, in any form, please ask God to help you; he will, if you pray for His guidance.

This is an entry for Medical Mondays.  For past entries, click here.

Disclaimer: The viewpoints that I discussed here are just my opinions.  Please consult your physician before altering anything relating to your health.  I am only suggesting here to take charge of your health.  Don't just leave your health in the hands of your doctors; become your own advocate.  You know best how your body is doing.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great goals! Striving to be healthier is awesome and something I'm always trying to achieve as well. And it's great when it rubs off on your kids! :)

    I'm a new follower! Please feel free to stop by my blog and follow back if you like :)

    www.yeewittlethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi Yee,

      Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

      Yes, I have lots of goals for my health. I'm hoping to work intensely in this area for this year.

      By the way, I went to your blog and am now following you, too.

      Rebecca G.

      Delete

I welcome all comments. Please leave one, and I will respond. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...